CRON OFFICES HAVE MOVED! cron is now on the second floor of Building 9: 9-266 and 9-225.
- (Re)run the student laptop maintenance script to bring applications, printers etc. up to date. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRINT UNTIL YOU DO! For more info, see the 'Mac Maintenance' section on this page.
- Your WinAthena home directory is now accessible from your Macintosh laptop. For more info, see the 'Accessing DFS (WinAthena Home Directory)' section on this page.
- AutoCAD 2015 for Macintosh: visit cron if you would like it installed on your laptop.
- ArcGIS is available as a pre-built VM for those wishing to use it on their laptops (8GB RAM (min) and SSD hard drive required). Please email email@example.com to request copy. It takes approx 30 minutes to install.
- Update/Install our most popular printers with
scripts found in \\soap\cronpc\printers
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRINT UNTIL YOU DO!
- AutoCAD 2016 is here!
The 9-251 cluster is no more owing to extensive renovations of Building
9. The computing cluster in
9-554 will now also serve DUSP's GIS and DUSPviz classes. Please check schedule for the room's availability as a general computing cluster and be prepared to vacate at moments notice.
- P07-433 [HP PageWide XL 5000 MFP. $5 per document plotted. Multi-page plots allowed up to 5 pages. HP Bright White Inkjet Paper. Also serves as scanner. More info on this beast can be had here. ]
- P07-433-DLUX [ HP Z6200 with high quality paper. $10 per single page doc up to 10' long.]
- P05-414-DLUX [ HP Z6200 with high quality paper. $10 per single page doc up to 10' long.]
- P07-404 [ HP Z6100 with high standard inkjet paper. $5 per single page.]
- P10-485 [ HP Z6100 with high standard inkjet paper. $5 per single page.]
- M07-301 [ KONICA MINOLTA C754e color MFP. Print, scan to USB or email, photocopy. ]
- M07-433 [ KONICA MINOLTA C754e color MFP. Print, scan to USB or email, photocopy. ]
- M09-554 [ KONICA MINOLTA C754e color MFP. Print, scan to USB or email, photocopy. ]
- WinAthena: Windows 10
- WinAthena: Adobe CC 2015
- MacAthena: Your WinAthena home directory (H: drive), is now available from MacAthena. Click on ~/dfs.WinData.
- MacAthena: ArcGIS and Rhino Grasshopper available from Macintosh environment. No need to boot into Windows to run these apps. Simply double-click /Applications/WindowsVM.
- MacAthena: Adobe CC 2015, Rhino 5.2
- All cluster software has been upgraded to the latest versions. Please visit the following section for software made available to student personal laptops: http://cronlasso.mit.edu/cron/p.lasso?t=8:5:0
CRON have made significant changes to the printing and plotting infrastructure over the summer. New hardware and server backend requires that ALL USERS REPLACE THE CRON PRINTERS ON THEIR PERSONAL COMPUTERS WITH NEW UPDATED ONES. See the Laptop>Maintenance section of this site for script to facilitate the change.
Hardware Changes: The three much beloved Xerox ColorQubes have been replaced by three new KONICA MINOILTA C754e multi-function devices. These units have more features than the Xerox printers (built-in stapling principal among them). Explore the options in your print dialog box. One can expect higher quality color, greater speed and reliability. NOTE: THESE ARE SIGNIFICANTLY MORE EXPENSIVE TO OPERATE. PLEASE PRINT/PHOTOCOPY IN BLACK AND WHITE UNLESS COLOR IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED. Color is 10x more expensive than B&W.
We also have a new high-volume plotter in 7-433, predictably named 'P07-433'. Please read the instruction card on the plotter before using. This plotter is designed to handle the day-to-day plotting needs of students. Its output is not quite at the 'photo-grade' level of the HP DesignJet Z6X000s we have, but it is wicked fast and will easily serve most everyone's needs except, possibly, for the few who require the absolute best for thesis or final presentations. For these special needs, read of our 'DLUX' plotters below.
We now have 2 plotters permanently stocked with very high-grade paper. These are given the 'DLUX' moniker to make clear they differ from the other plotters stocked with standard inkjet paper. The plotters' names are 'P07-433-DLUX' and 'P05-414-DLUX'. They are stocked with HP Super Heavyweight Plus Matte Paper, which has been the paper of choice by students requiring the best.
'P10-485' and 'P07-404' are stocked with HP Bright White Inkjet Paper, and serve to ease loads on P07-433 or when P07-433 goes off line.
New Experimental Plotter Policy and Pricing
CRON have made changes in policy and pricing. These changes are subject to further change without advance notice.
- P07-433: $5 per plot. This is the *only* plotter for which multi-page (up to 5 page) documents can be submitted. Please do NOT plot documents longer than 5 pages. Doing so is unfair to others wishing to use the plotter and may result in significant fines (@ $2.50/sq foot). Though very inexpensive, please do not abuse this resource. Doing so will only result in a charge increase.
- P07-433-DLUX and P05-414-DLUX: $10 per single page up to 10' long.
- P07-404 and P10-485: $5 per single page.
Printing and plotting exact great environmental costs. Please be a
responsible citizen and print/plot only when absolutely needed.
CRON have consolidated and 'virtualized' a good number of its servers. Further, we now run these virtualized servers from out of the Media Lab's vSphere 6.0 environment. As a result, we have powered down our entire VM hosting setup. Fewer boxes, smaller carbon footprint, healthier planet.
By populating clusters with dual-boot computers, we've also reduced our energy footprint. CRON also favors products with the highest Energy Star ratings and those companies most committed to the environment.
All new and improved! Posters, web site, labels, etc.. Replete with novel (mis)spellings and bizarre typos.
• 2016-08-28 14:56:26 •